AIC #EatWell Recipes: Roasted Chicken with Boiled Vegetables in 5 Steps
Chicken is a popular choice of meat in Singapore and for good reason. It is cheap and a great source of protein with low fat content, great for those who want to maintain a balanced and healthy diet.
There are many ways to prepare chicken. Our #EatWell recipe today will focus on roasting, a method of cooking that drains away excess fat, while retaining the nutrients and flavour of the chicken. For seniors or caregivers cooking at home, here’s a recipe of Roasted Chicken with Boiled Vegetables you can try out!
What You’ll Need
- 1 Whole Spring chicken (about 1.5kg, cut into 4 pieces)
- 200 gm Cauliflower (trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 200 gm Broccoli (trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 200 gm Tomato (garnish)
- 320 gm Potato (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 200 gm Carrot (peeled and cut into cubes)
Marinade for Chicken
- 2 Teaspoons of Honey
- ½ Tablespoon of Black pepper (coarse or fine)
- 2 Tablespoons Oyster sauce
- 40 ml Indonesian sweet black soya sauce (kecap manis)
- 3 Tablespoons Mustard sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Sesame oil (white)
- Cornstarch solution (2 tablespoons of cornflour mixed with 3 to 4 tablespoons of water)
Let’s Start Making Roasted Chicken with Boiled Vegetables
Step 1 - Mix the ingredients for the marinade well. Marinate chicken for at least an hour. Sear chicken pieces before roasting.
Step 2 - Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place chicken pieces on an oven-baking tray or an oven-safe frying pan and bake for 15 minutes.
Step 3 - Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the potatoes and carrots first. Add the remaining vegetables into the pot and boil until cooked. Drain and set aside.
Take out the baking tray/frying pan from the oven. Add the cooked vegetables around the chicken pieces and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 4 - Transfer the chicken pieces and vegetables to a large serving plate. For the sauce, retain the juice from the roasted chicken. Heat the liquid over a small flame, and thicken it slightly by using corn starch solution.
Step 5 - Garnish the roasted chicken platter with tomatoes. Serve roasted chicken with the sauce, soft rolls, or garlic bread (optional).
Nutritional Values of Roasted Chicken with Boiled Vegetables
Total Fat: 18g
Saturated Fat: 4g
Dietary Fibre: 7g
Enjoying our #EatWell recipes? Stay tuned to our page for more healthy recipes.