Last-minute Gift Ideas For Your Senior Loved Ones
Still can’t find a gift suitable for your senior loved ones? Fret not, we’ve got you covered! Here are some simple gift ideas to show them you care.
Did you know that many seniors experience foot problems just because they are wearing the wrong type of shoes? A comfortable pair of shoes makes for both a practical and simple gift! Here’s a quick guide on what to look out for when purchasing footwear for your loved ones.
- Sole and Heels: Ensure soles are thick and the shoes are not narrow at the heel area
- Size: Make sure that the shoes fit comfortably even when wearing socks
- Material: Find shoes made with material that best suit their lifestyle (e.g. Breathable Mesh for exercising, Leather for formal events, and Rubber for indoor activities)
- Closed Heel: Closed heels provide better stability and a more snug fit
- Weight: Heavy shoes can cause seniors to fall, as they may have difficulty lifting their feet
- Laceless: Choose shoes that are easier to put on, such as those with Velcro straps or elastic laces, or slip-ons
A good pair of reading glasses is essential for seniors to reduce the risk of straining their eyes while reading newspapers, sewing, or using their mobile phone. Opt for prescription glasses that you can customise with UV light protection for seniors who experience light sensitivity, or blue light protection for tech-savvy seniors.
Treating Them To Their Favourite Food
Food is a big part of many Singaporeans, and eating our favourite food can make us happy. As we grow older, we are always told to eat healthy, but healthy eating is not just about eating salads! Seniors can still enjoy their favourite hawker delights, albeit in moderation, and opting for a healthier version of the dish.
For example, if they love sliced fish soup, they can opt for fresh sliced fish instead of fried fish. Moreover, the fish itself is a good source of protein! There are many healthy options available in hawker centres. You just have to make the right choice. Read more about seniors’ diet here.
Digital Photo Frame
Reminiscing about the good old days can evoke pleasant memories and boost our mood. What better way to do this than looking at old pictures! However, storing hundreds and thousands of the physical photographs can take up a lot of space at home. Thanks to technology, your loved ones can now look at old photos on digital photo frames and still get that nostalgic vibe. Each frame can store over a thousand images, which means you have over a thousand things to talk to them about when you go through the photos together.
Share Cute Festive Stickers
Already in the festive mood? Why not send your well wishes to your loved ones with these AIC’s Season Greeting stickers? Simply follow these steps:
- Download the sticker.ly app
- Click on this link to download the sticker pack: https://sticker.ly/s/Y91L1M
- Click “add to WhatsApp” and send
- Alternatively, ask your friends or relatives who have already done so to forward the stickers to you via WhatsApp!